To give themselves the best chances of success while out on the green, many golfers are turning to specially-crafted shafts that are designed to improve their game in a variety of ways. The shafts you get fitted with a club by default (stock shafts) are often very reliable and well-made, but pros and amateurs alike are continuing to make use of other shafts for the various array of bonuses and benefits they can offer. These sort of shafts can be quite pricey but they might just be enough to boost your game.
Why Use an Aftermarket Shaft
Aftermarket shafts are usually made in rather small quantities, using higher quality materials than stock shafts. What this essentially gives the golfer is a tighter swing with increased levels of stability. The higher-grade materials allow for a smoother action out on the green and should help you to enjoy more consistent swings in your game. These shafts won’t turn you into a pro overnight, but they can make a real difference.
With so many great shafts out there and new brands arriving on the market, it can be difficult for the average golfer to find the shaft that suits his game. Fortunately, experts are always on hand to help. Ideally, you’ll want to visit a good golf store and run some tests with an expert, who should then be able to choose the perfect shaft for your swing. Some of the factors that can really influence the decision will be the speed of your swing, the transition and the release point.
A good shaft will help you return to square with every swing, making your shots extra reliable and reducing your risk of mishits. It’s important to speak with an expert to really find the perfect golf shaft to suit your game. Experts also recommend that you test out a good variety of different shafts before deciding on one. You should be able to feel the one that really fits your game after testing out a few different models.
Our Favorite New Shafts for 2015
you’re looking to make some changes to boost your game for 2015, then the purchase of a good quality aftermarket shaft could be a smart thing to do. Now we’ll take a look at some of the top shafts available on the market, and we’ll reveal some of the top pros who are using each model. Remember that the most expensive models might not necessarily be the best-suited for your game, so be sure to shop around before making a final decision. In addition, it’s worth remembering that these shafts are usually available with various weights to suit different golfers.
- Fujikura Fuel Shaft – Used by Dustin Johnson and Patrick Reed, the Fujikura Fuel Shaft (click here) features a “combustion chamber” which actually helps to provide extra energy in your swing, giving you additional power for shots go further.
- Mitsubishi Kuro Kage Silvi TiNi Shaft – One of the world’s most famous golfers at the moment, Rory McIlroy, along with his fellow professional Keegan Bradley and Webb Simpson, makes use of the Mitsubishi Kuro Kage (click here) golf shaft. It contains a small TiNi wire at the tip which is able to reduce the risk of spin in your shots while also giving you a bit of extra power at the moment of impact. Shots should be more powerful and accurate with this specially-crafted shaft.
- Aldila Rogue Shaft – Coming from Aldila, the Aldila Rogue (click here) shaft is regularly used by a large number of pros including John Senden, Bill Haas, Bo Van Pelt and Pat Perez. Its popularity is due to its use of graphitic carbon. This material, placed around the top of the shaft, helps to counterbalance the club overall and offers a huge boost in the stability of your swing.
- Graphite Design Tour Ad Di Shaft – The Graphite Design Tour AD DI (click here) shaft, developed by Graphite Design, is used by pro players Martin Kaymer, Jonas Blixt, Hideki Matsuyama and Ryo Ishikawa, among others. It makes use of advanced nanomaterials to offer additional stability in your shots and give golfers an extra level of control over their swings.
- Fujikura Motore Speeder Shaft – Used by professional golfers like Ernie Els, Steve Stricker and Matt Kuchar, the Fujikura Motore Speeder shaft (click here) from Fujikura offers a boost of speed, as indicated by its name, Through the use of graphite, boosts in power and stability are provided by this shaft.
- Mitsubishi Fubuki J Series Shaft – The MRC Fubuki J-Series Shaft (click here), used by the famous Phil Mickelson, is filled with a tungsten-based material to counterbalance the weight of the club. This helps to make your swings more reliable and give you an extra feeling of control over your shots.
- Fujikura Pro Shaft – Filled with carbon fiber, the Fujikura Pro Series Shaft (click here) helps to give your swings a bit of extra energy. Shots should be more powerful and travel further with this shaft, which is used by golfers like Branden Grace, KJ Choi and Harris English.
- Mitsubishi Diamana Shaft – Mitsubishi makes a great range of aftermarket shafts and the Mitsubishi Diamana Shaft (click here) is especially effective at giving you plenty of stability without any excess weight. This shaft is used by man professional players including Chris Kirk, Gary Woodland and the iconic Tiger Woods.